Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Home at last

FBC traveller Wally Mersereau reported on his trip back from Spokane on Monday:
11:19 am
My United flight left Spokane on schedule at 6:00 am. It is the only non-stop to SFO. The team was not on it so they must have left on another airline, because the last United flight yesterday was too early for them to have been able to make after the game.

My flight was due to arrive at SFO at 8:15. As we approached the Bay Area we were told visibility was marginal and we would circle over Marin County for up to 30 minutes to see if it improved. We did, but it didn't, and we were diverted to Fresno where we are waiting for the fog to lift at SFO. Our next update is supposed to be at noon.

This is my first visit to the Fresno Airport which is pleasant enough and has free Wi-Fi. I have enough reading material to last me for at least 24 hours so I am taking a relaxed view of the world.

Ah, the joys of travel. So broadening. So full of pleasant surprises. All in the interest of supporting the young women of Stanford, with the pleasures that provides.

5:55 pm
I arrived at SFO by bus 8 1/2 hours after my scheduled arrival time. I think United sent the buses from SFO because our driver clearly had done this before. I think buses were the only practical solution. United had to get the diverted passengers out of Fresno to a hub airport.

All things considered, I think United handled everything quite well. By a minor miracle, my checked bag was on my bus. When the driver opened the doors to the baggage area under the bus I spotted my bag immediately, pulled it out myself and was on my way.

Another exciting, although certainly unexpected, adventure in FBC travel.